Pro-Kannada protest if English is introduced

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 19 12:29:58 UTC 2005

>>From the Deccan Herald

Pro-Kannada protest if English is inducted

DH News Service Bangalore:

What happened to the state government's proposal for introducing English
language as a subject from the first standard itself? According to Kannada
Sahitya Parishat President Dr Chandrashekhar Patil, the proposal is stuck
at the government-level. Addressing a press conference in Bangalore on
Sunday, Dr Patil, who has been opposing implementation of English from
first standard, reiterated that pro-Kannada activists would launch a
struggle if the proposal was indeed implemented.

He argued that the court verdicts and the language policy had not given
scope for introducing English from the first standard. He said the
Parishat had held discussion in this regard with the law minister. As of
now, the proposal is stuck at the government-level. We will decide the
nature of our struggle based on the moves of the government, he said.

It has also been decided to meet the chief minister and his deputy in this
regard, he said.

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/sep192005/state1836432005918.asp