Derivation of "Wales"

Julia Pührer julia.puehrer at chello.at
Fri Sep 23 12:57:41 UTC 2005

Re: Derivation of "Wales"I've recently read about this derivation, too - in a 1974 book by Louis-Jean Calvet in which he writes about the role of language in colonialism.

He mentions there that welsh is derived from an Old English word that meant "foreigner" (while, interestingly but sadly, the "Welsh" had called themselves cymry before that, meaning "native" or "indigenous").

Kind regards,

Julia Puehrer
Vienna, Austria