Derivation of "Wales"

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Sep 23 15:12:28 UTC 2005

Here's what the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition, has for
etymology of "welsh", as I didn't find an entry for "Wales":

[OE. (West Saxon) Wilisc, Wylisc, (Anglian and Kentish) Welisc, Wælisc,
f. Wealh, Walh, Celt, Briton, = OHG. Walh, Walah (MHG. Walch, G. Wahle)
Celt, Roman, etc., ON. *Valr (pl. Valir, Gauls, Frenchmen): see etym.
note to WALNUT, and cf. WALACH and VLACH. To the English adj.
correspond OHG. wal(a)hisc, walesc (MHG. walh-, wälhisch, walsch, etc.,
G. wälsch, welsch), Roman, Italian, French, Du. waalsch Walloon, ON.
valskr Gaulish, French (MSw. valskr; Sw. välsk, Da. vælsk Italian,
French, southern); cf. the note to WALSHNUT.
  In OE. the final h of the stem normally disappeared before the
adjectival ending. The West Saxon type *Wielisc (from Wealh) did not
survive beyond the OE. period; the two Anglian and Kentish types (from
Walh) existed concurrently till the 16th cent., after which Welsh
became the sole form in general use, Walsh remaining only as a surname.
(The AF. Waleis, which is rarely employed in ME., also survives in the
surname Wallace.)
  The spelling Welch is retained in the title of the Royal Welch
Fusiliers.]