Wales soccer chiefs aim for bilingual goal

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 7 14:33:43 UTC 2006

Wales soccer chiefs aim for bilingual goal

Jun 5 2006
Paul Rowland, Western Mail

WELSH football's governing body could allow official business to be
conducted in Welsh for the first time in its 130-year history. The
Football Association of Wales is to draw up a Welsh-language policy after
members complained about being forced to use English to deal with the
organisation. The FAW Council now wants to allow Welsh and English to
share the same standing in the association's business dealings, after a
campaign by a league official from Caernarfon, who was told the FAW
"conducts it business in English".

The first step in the new system will mean that those who write to the FAW
in Welsh will receive replies in the same language, while the body will
also examine holding disciplinary hearings in Welsh. Welsh Sports Minister
Alun Pugh, who is also responsible for the Welsh language, welcomed the
proposal, and called for the FAW to formally announce its new proposals.
The issues will be ratified at the next meeting in July.

He said, "In correspondence and in meetings with the FAW, I have said that
the national governing bodies for sport should deal with the two languages
of Wales on the basis of equality. "The Assembly Government is prepared to
assist voluntary bodies via our language board, and I will be asking the
board staff to contact the FAW on Monday with an offer of expert help."

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0600soccer/0200news/tm_objectid=17176450&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=wales-soccer-chiefs-aim-for-bilingual-goal----name_page.html