German heritage in the US, cont'd

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 13:44:38 UTC 2006

Anthea is right, that it's *possible* for a larger percentage of Americans
to have German (or any other) ancestry than the 24% reported in the data I
cited.  And it's true that people pick and choose--some may declare what
they see as their *major* or *dominant* ancestry, leaving out bits and
pieces that are less prestigious, or less dominant, etc. And we know from
the Indian census that declarations can fluctuate wildly (as Khubchandani
has shown), e.g. declarations of Urdu as mother tongue rose in 1000's of
percentage points in some of the censuses. So Urdu declarations (especially
in South India) really mean declarations of ethnicity or religion (i.e.
Muslim/ Islam). Californians with Native American ancestry have declared
this in rising numbers in the 20th century, while in the 19th century we got
very small numbers. As Fishman has shown, I think, the "ethnic revival" in
the US meant that people came "out of the closet" (not his term!) on their
ethnicity declarations back in the 1960's when it was safe (or fashionable)
to do so.

The US census probably doesn't explain very well what they mean by ancestry,
so it's going to be whatever people think it means, or what they're proudest
of, or whatever gets them the most benefit.  But figures like 60% for German
do not appear anywhere in any data or censuses I've seen.

Hal Schiffman