Education of tribal children, from social mobilisation to poverty alleviation

Francis M. Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 8 02:24:55 UTC 2006

OneWorld South Asia

http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/128871/1/5339

Education of tribal children, from social mobilisation to poverty alleviation

Anjali Noronha

The issue of tribal education and the related one of the mother tongue is an
important one but is equally vexed. As can be seen by the responses from areas
as diverse as the North-East and Orissa, on the one hand, and Tamil Nadu, on
the other, there are no simple and uniform solutions. I hope I am not too late
in the discussion in pitching in our experiences from central India, i.e.,
Madhya Pradesh, to be more precise.

There are two aspects to the question of educating tribals -- the more
fundamental one is that of the content of the curriculum, the second, the
medium of instruction or the language question. The answers to both these
questions are deeply political. How decentralized a curriculum will be, i.e.,
whether it will incorporate the local concerns, and the burning issues, or
not, is something that is determined by political power not by educational
theory. Similarly, not just whether the State will make provision for tribal
mother tongue education, but also whether the tribe wants to educate its
children in the mother tongue, is also a political issue. To elaborate, it is
clear through research in child development and pedagogy that a young child
learns concepts better if these are embedded in contexts that are meaningful
to him or her and in her mother tongue. These will, more often than not, mean
contexts that are local and familiar. These contexts can often illustrate
conflictual situations, e.g., the struggle for distribution of already scarce
water in a village makes more sense than decontextualised texts about the
conservation of water. But including such texts and contexts means risking the
chance of provoking change, as did the anti-arrack movement in Andhra, that
emanated out of a literacy primer, and ending up in a censorship of adult
literacy texts. Hence, such texts will rarely be allowed in textbooks and
schools.

Similarly, the provision of tribal language education in schools as well as
how such education would be perceived by the tribal community depends on the
socio-political position of the particular tribe as well as the situation of
the struggle for their identity. The new National Curriculum Framework
recommends a plurality of textbooks - creating a theoretical space for local
specificity. The focus group paper on education of Schedule Tribes as well as
the one on Language recommends the use of local language(s) and local content.
How these principles are translated into reality is a highly political issue.

In the context of Madhya Pradesh, perhaps the largest numbers of tribal people
reside in Madhya Pradesh -- about 20-25% of the total tribal population of
India. But tribals as a percentage of the total population of the State is
also about 20% which is much less than that in the North-Eastern region.
Secondly, tribes reside in pockets and there is no strong tribal movement.
Hence, the tribes themselves perceive local content and local language
education as a way to keep them backward.

Eklavya has been working for the last 20 years in a block where over 50% are
tribals. We have been developing materials that allow for a lot of different
kinds of learning contexts. The hope in this was that children would get
opportunities to learn in different ways and at their pace. However, we found
(a) that tribal children were continuing to be pushed out, though at a lesser
rate, due to their own irregularity and lack of home support, and (b)
including the tribal community's idea of education, by the community, was
quite traditional, perhaps due to the influence of the non-tribal elite ideas.

In such a situation, we decided to start community based out of school
education support centres or what we call 'Shiksha Protsahan Kendras' (SPKs).
These centres are run with community support and are monitored by them while
the volunteers are trained by us. The children go to the local goverment
school in the day and attend the SPK in the mornings or evenings for about two
hours. The SPK has library books, activity materials and workbooks and works
around the State textbooks. It does not have any separate text-books. The
major tribes in this area are Gonds and Korkus. But these tribes do not want
their children to learn to read in their language(s). Therefore, however much
we believe in the pedagogical soundness of educating in the mother tongues at
the primary level, the situation here is not supportive of this. However, oral
interaction in the local language takes place, but the medium of literacy
activities is Hindi, the regional language. Issues of interest to the children
are explored and made the content of reading and writing activities.

These centres have been running for about 5 years now. The community now
appreciates different ways of learning and is also initiating these in
schools. It is concerne d about its children's progress in learning, quarterly
assessments are placed in front of them and discussed. Children have become
more regular too and there is demand for such centres in other villages as
well. The SPK environment is much more flexible than the school. This we feel
is a step forward in universalising education and facilitating greater access
to the tribal communities.

Anjali Noronha
Eklavya,
Madhya Pradesh