UK and EU to Manage Language Policy

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Mon Oct 9 14:43:18 UTC 2006

UK and EU to Manage Language Policy

Collaboration formed to take multilingualism forward

A national language centre in the UK will advise a European Commission on
formulating the next stage of its policy on multilingualism. Isabella
Moore CBE, Director of CILT, the National Centre for Languages, will meet
with EU Commissioner Jan Figel throughout next year to discuss a broad
range of topics including languages and research, new technologies for
translation and interpretation and strategies to promote language
learning. Speaking on the joint initiative, she said: We need to develop a
better understanding of how multilingualism contributes not only to
educational and cultural life, but to the functioning of our shared
economy. This group provides a unique opportunity to share knowledge and
develop our thinking and I am relishing taking part.

And Commissioner Figel was equally effusive about the partnership:
Multilingualism is at the heart of the European project. The High Level
Group brings together some of the best experts in the field for the
benefit of all the languages spoken in the European Union. "I am confident
that this group will make a significant contribution to the promotion and
preservation of Europes multilingual heritage."

Vijay Pattni.

http://www.fenews.co.uk/newsview.asp?n=1957