GLS 2007: Language and Globalization Call for Papers

Prof. Maya David mayadavid at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 23 06:15:27 UTC 2006

any ideas re lang and media Parliamentary discourse as represented in media; a
comparitive analysis?

--- Jamie Schissel <jamie.schissel at gmail.com> wrote:

> >                                                 CALL FOR PAPERS
> >                                     Abstract deadline December 1, 2006
> >                                                  www.glsconf.com
> >

> >                 The Georgetown Linguistics Society is pleased to announce
> >
> >                                                       GLS 2007
> >                     Language and Globalization: Policy, Education and
> > Media
> >
> >                                               March 30-April 1, 2007
> >                                Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
> >
> > GLS 2007, Language and Globalization: Policy, Education and Media,
> > will explore the interaction between language and the processes of
> > globalization. We invite papers that address the following questions:
> >
> > Policy:
> > •       How is globalization driving implicit and explicit language
> > policies?
> > •       What role does language play in the development and implementation
> > of migrant/migration policy?
> > •       What is the relationship between transnationalism and language
> > policy?
> > •       How are countries integrating language and citizenship
> > requirements?
> > •       How has language policy influenced and been influenced by
> > immigration and integration?
> >
> > Education:
> > •       How does globalization affect critical language awareness in
> > education?
> > •       What is the relationship between globalization and current trends
> > in
> > language education policy (especially in regards to the teaching of
> > critical languages)?
> > •       What is the role of language assessment? What are its advantages
> > and
> > dangers, particularly in light of globalization?
> >
> > Media:
> > •       How does globalization shape public discourse (and vice versa)?
> > •       How has language use in the public sphere (signage, verbal
> > announcements, etc.) been influenced by globalization?
> > •       How has globalization impacted language commodification?
> >
> > These topics are given as suggestions rather than limitations. Any
> > papers relevant to the policy, education, and media effects of
> > language related to globalization are welcome.
> >
> > GLS 2007 is a conference run by the graduate students in the
> > Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University. The conference
> > will include three days of oral and poster presentations by students
> > as well as invited plenary addresses and panel discussions by
> > established scholars. More information about the conference can be found
> > at
> > http://www.glsconf.com , where updates will be announced.
> >
> > Confirmed Plenary Speakers:
> >
> > Dr. David Block
> > Dr. Ron Scollon
> >
> > Additional plenary speaker and faculty panel coordinators will be
> > announced as they are confirmed.
> >
> > Abstract Submission:
> >
> > We invite submissions of abstracts for oral and poster presentations.
> [...]

Professor Dr. Maya Khemlani David
(Honorary Fellow Chartered Institute of Linguists)
Faculty of Languages and Linguistics
University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel (O) 03 7967 3047  Fax 03 79673155