Language divide hits Karnataka students

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 20 13:16:42 UTC 2006

Language divide hits Karnataka students

Archana Patni

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 (Bangalore):

In an unprecedented move the Karnataka State Education Department has
de-recognized over 800 schools in the state. According to the government
these schools were violating the state language policy of 1994. The
language policy required the private schools to teach in Kannada medium
till class five. School authorities however, say these allegations are
baseless. "We are running a school in Kannada medium only. The inspection
committee has complained that the classes are being conducted in English.
We have answered to the DDPI and given a letter to them," said Venkatarama
Reddy, Secretary, Lovely Bishop School.

While schools are concerned that this will cause a massive disruption in
the children's education, the government seems firm in its stand. "We have
already directed DDPI and BU that the students who are studying in these
de-recognized schools to be admitted to nearby schools," said Basvaraj
Horetti, Education Minister, Karnataka. The most important thing for the
government is to ensure that these students do not end up losing an
academic year.

http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Language+divide+hits+Karnataka+students&id=93449&category=National