Aland-blog on language policy

Francis M Hult fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu
Tue Apr 10 16:32:16 UTC 2007

I inquired about what the government of Åland considers as documentation of Swedish
knowledge.  I was told that they accept a range of things.  Mother tongue is noted in a
person's record in the population registry so that may be considered.  An affidavit
from an employer that indicates someone can speak and understand Swedish may be
accepted.  An applicant may also be interviewed by a government representative to
demonstrate abilities in Swedish.  In addition, there is the option of taking a
Swedish language test (about which I'll continue to inquire).

The official who answered my question acknowledged the slippery slope of deciding what
counts as adequate knowledge of Swedish.  At any rate, Åland's government seems pretty
flexible about how they evaluate this and on the surface it does not seem related to
ethnicity.

Åland has an interesting history around its language policy and its autonomous
government.  For a brief history:
http://www.aland.ax/alandinbrief/sjalvstyrelsens_tillkomst.htm

Francis