Governor: Kannada deserved classical status

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:24:43 UTC 2007

*'Kannada deserves classical status'
*1 Aug 2007, 0056 hrs IST,TNN

SMS NEWS to 8888 for latest updates
   BANGALORE: Kannada deserves to be accorded classical language status,
governor T N Chaturvedi said on Tuesday. After being felicitated by five
linguistic organisations, the governor regretted that he could not read
Kannada literature.
"However, my interest in literature has forced me to read translations of
various works. This has made me realise the richness of the language and its
ability to help express emotions better than any other language,'' he said. He
pointed out that it was this inquisitiveness that helped him point out the
gross error made by the Oxford University Press in describing Bangalore as a
place where people spoke Bengali. It also mentioned that the chieftain Kempe
Gowda belonged to the Hoysala Dynasty.

"They have apologised and even withdrew the stocks,'' Chaturvedi said. "The
government should promote love for the language, but must be conscious not
to tread along the lines of fanaticism." "Efforts must come from other
quarters like the university and policy-makers as well,'' Chaturvedi added. The
organisation also kick-started the 'Suvarna Karnataka Jagrithi Yatra' to
join hands with the government and promote the state celebrations.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bangalore/Kannada_deserves_classical_status/articleshow/2247238.cms

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a