Connecticut: State grant to Wilton Library will pay for foreign language resources

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 13:42:17 UTC 2007

Aug 21, 2007
State grant to Wilton Library will pay for foreign language resources

By Justin Reynolds

A state grant will help the library make special purchases. State Rep.
Toni Boucher, Republican of the 143rd District in Wilton and Norwalk,
announced the state will provide a $2,500 grant for the Wilton Library
to assist in the purchase of foreign language books and magazines.
"The money hasn't arrived yet," said Janet Crystal, spokesperson for
the library. "We don't know when it comes, but when it comes, it
comes."

The Wilton Library Association used to have a small collection of
donated foreign language books, but they were not well-maintained and
through the years they deteriorated. This grant will enable the
library to replace the collection with new foreign language books,
magazines and newspapers. The funding was secured by the state Office
of Policy and Management (OPM).

"This grant will also be matched locally to offer not only foreign
language speakers with enhanced resources at our library but also will
provide valuable resources to our students and citizens who are
learning or mastering a foreign language," Ms. Boucher said in a press
release. According to the library association, requests for books in
other languages have increased over the last few years.

"We're using it to establish and then build up a collection of world
languages," said Kathy Leeds, library director. "We're going to be
buying both books and magazines, and some newspapers also. Up to this
point, we haven't had anything like this before."

http://www.acorn-online.com/news/publish/wilton/21649.shtml