Official versus Endangered Languages of Canada

Michelle Daveluy michelle.daveluy at ualberta.ca
Mon Jan 29 21:31:33 UTC 2007

Chris Harvey and Fernand de Varennes have made relevant comments related to
the fact that English and French are not the two national languages of
Canada but its two official languages.

It should also be noted that Cree and Inuktitut are not endangered languages
in Canada. A number of factors contribute to their maintenance, including
their respective number of speakers at the national level.

Categorising the official languages of the North West Territoiries as either
national or endangered does not represent reality adequately.

Michelle Daveluy