Goa: English to be taught from first Standard

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 13 22:00:00 UTC 2007

Education Minister Reiterates need to introduce English to bring down
dropout rate

PANAJI: Even as he is determined to introduce English as a subject from
first standard from the academic year 2006-07, Education Minister Luizinho
Faleiro has ruled out major changes in the State's education policy
supporting primary education in the mother tongue. Speaking to
presspersons here on Saturday he said: "I am not touching the education
policy... I am making efforts to improve the quality of education as I am
concerned over the staggering dropout rate of 40 per cent in schools."

Mr. Faleiro said one of the primary reasons for the high dropout rate is
that children whose medium is their mother tongue (Konkani and Marathi)
till fourth standard find it difficult to cope with education in the
English medium from fifth standard. This year, the Education Department
has introduced consolidation courses for such children to make their
transition to the English medium smoother, he added.

Many schools allotted computer laboratories do not have the infrastructure
to run them, he said. They will be provided the infrastructure next year.
The Government is also all set to introduce NCERT syllabus in schools from
the next academic year, he said. He announced that the Government has
decided to extend the All India Council for Technical Education scales to
240 teachers in technical institutions across the State with effect from
January 1, 1996.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/04/03/stories/2006040301770300.htm