Sri Lanka: public servants encouraged to learn two main national languages

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Wed Mar 21 13:31:41 UTC 2007

This is tangential to the article, but at a conference on ICT localization
in Asia in January, one of the many things I learned was that Sri Lanka has
an explicit policy of presenting official information in Sinhala, Tamil, and
English. Localization research there focuses on both Sinhala and Tamil.

The conference in question, of which the first part dealt with "Local
Language Computing Policy in Developing Asia." See
http://www.panl10n.net/english/index.htm . This was part of the PAN
Localization Project (which involves several countries in south and
southeast Asia).

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net
PanAfrican Localisation project