Newt Gingrich campaigns for officialization of English

Kephart, Ronald rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Mar 21 15:24:07 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07 8:50 AM, "Harold F. Schiffman" <haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> Make English Our Official Language
>
> By Newt Gingrich, Michael Ciamarra Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2007

[snip meaningless stuff]

> Provide in-depth English language and American history and civics training
> for new immigrants...

You know, this just might work. When those immigrants find out, through a
truly deep and detailed study of US history and civilization, about the
campaigns of genocide against Native Americans, about slavery and the
ongoing denial on the part of many that the Civil War had anything to do
with it, about the treatment of Japanese-Americans in WWII, about the
ongoing government-sponsored war on working people (no right to join unions,
no right to health care, no right to higher education...).... Well, my point
being that when they find out what a truly psychotic and sociopathic place
the US is, maybe they'll figure they're better off wherever they were
before.

Of course, this is not what the "historian" Gingrich has in mind.

Ron