protection of minority and immigrant languages in the EU

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sun May 20 16:35:01 UTC 2007

Anthea,

I agree with you that the EU policy is skewed against immigrant languages,
or indeed any language that doesn't have its own territory, such as
Romany.  South Africa also seems to me to be schizophrenic on this, since
it has officialized two European "immigrant" languages (English and
Afrikaans) but ignores Gujarati, Bhojpuri, Tamil, Hindi etc. which are (or
once were)  spoken by significant numbers in KwaZuluNatal province.

I've seen allusions to the possibility that the provinces in South AFrica
might have their own policies on protection of such languages, but have no
firm information on this.  Anybody know the status on this in S. Africa?

Hal Schiffman