Dept. chair job at Temple University

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 22:16:03 UTC 2007

 Forwarded From: Paul B. Garrett <pgarrett at temple.edu>
Date: Oct 9, 2007 5:58 PM
Subject: [Linganth] Dept. chair job at Temple University

Hello All,

I'd like to bring this job advertisement, for a department chair, to the
attention
of members of this list.

You'll see that it calls for a "sociocultural" anthropologist, but if you
keep
reading, you'll also see that a linguistic anthropologist could easily fit
the
description--particularly one who is not overly concerned with
(sub)disciplinary
boundaries and is of the mindset that any good linguistic anthropologist
also
has to be a good sociocultural anthropologist, and vice versa.

I'm a member of the search committee, and I would be more than happy to
correspond or talk with anyone who might be interested in applying.  The job
description can also be viewed on the AAA website.

Yours,
Paul

===============

Temple University's Department of Anthropology invites applications for a
chair
position at the advanced Associate or Full Professor level in sociocultural
anthropology.

We are looking for someone committed to a four-field department with an
active undergraduate and graduate program within the context of Temple
University's new urban and international initiatives. All geographic and
theoretic
areas of specialization will be considered. We are especially interested in
candidates who can build upon our current strengths in linguistic, urban,
visual
and medical anthropology with particular attention to the politics of
cultural
identity and difference, the political economy of representation and
practice,
and social movements and critical policy analysis.

We expect to maintain our long-standing affiliations with the
interdisciplinary
work of the Asian Studies program, the Women's Studies program, the Latin
American Studies program and the Department of Geography and Urban
Studies. Candidates should be committed to teaching at one of the largest
and
most diverse universities in the U.S. Temple University is an affirmative
action/
equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages women and candidates
from ethnic backgrounds typically under-represented in higher education to
apply.

The deadline for applications is November 12, 2007. Candidates should send a
letter of application indicating their qualifications, a CV and the names
and
addresses of 3 references to Charles Weitz, Chair, Anthropology Department,
Gladfelter Hall, 1115 West Berks Street, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
19122.

NOTES:  Salary is negotiable

The following information is provided by the employer in accordance with AAA
policy. AAA is not responsible for verifying the accuracy of these
statements.
They are not part of the actual position description submitted for
publication by
the employer.

This employer does prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation/
preference.

This employer does prohibit discrimination based on gender identity/
expression.

This employer offers health insurance benefits to eligible same and
opposite-
sex domestic partners.

This employer does not appear on the AAUP list of censured institutions.

Employer Information
About Temple University
Temple University's Department of Anthropology offers a four-field
undergraduate major and a graduate program that specializes in the
Sociocultural Dynamics of Globalization and Evolutionary Anthropology. The
undergraduate program has approximately 160 majors, and the graduate
program is training approximately 100 doctoral students.

Paul B. Garrett
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA  19122
USA

sponsor of
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
with a