New Brunswick: Bullying won't be forgotten

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:25:51 UTC 2008

Bullying won't be forgotten

The change in the government's French Second Language policy announced
on Tuesday came about because of a concerted and organized effort by a
group of citizens who were determined to make a difference even at
great personal expense. The minister was contrite at the press
conference, going out of his way to thank those who took the time to
thoughtfully oppose his initial plan, and he even went so far as to
admit that the court decision that forced him to undertake the recent
consultations was a positive development.

While I am pleased that the minister discovered that a positive and
useful discussion was possible once he stopped calling the citizens of
the province names, and actually took the time to treat us like the
intelligent rational beings that we are, I am left wondering why those
of us who spent an inordinate amount of time and money on this issue
have to pay for his lessons in good manners.

Despite his recent change of attitude I cannot forget the months of
bullying and belittling that took place before.

I cannot forgive being labeled an elitist and a segregationist. I
cannot forget that the reason the minister had the opportunity to
discover that he is not always the smartest guy in the room is because
friends of mine put themselves in personal and professional jeopardy
in order to drag him to court.

Je me souviens means something entirely different to me now - and 2010.

MICHAEL WILCOTT

Saint John

Immersion decision fair but difficult

Congratulations to our premier, minister of education and government
for their difficult but fair decision about educational change and
French Second Language programs.

It is great that so many New Brunswickers care so passionately about
their children and education.

Every subject is important and emphasis is needed on literacy, math,
technology, science, arts, phys-ed, trades and bilingualism.

Bilingualism and fairness, equality and justice have been more
recognized in this compromise.

We want a system where our children's talents, dreams and successes
will enable them to find happiness throughout their lives.

The government have been listening and heard the voices of many
citizens throughout our province.

Reasonableness and fairness are traits to be admired in our society.

Bilingualism and equality have been reconciled in this decision.

HAROLD PHALEN

Fredericton

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/article/378212