New Jersey: Make English schools ’ official language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 13:39:29 UTC 2008

Blandino: Make English schools' official language

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:28 AM EDT
By Eileen Oldfield Staff Writer

   Spanish signs in a district elementary school had the school board
mulling a declaration to make English the district's official
language.    At the board's July 22 meeting, board member Frank
Blandino said he saw the signs during a Facilities Committee
assessment at one of the elementary schools.    "I'd like to ask about
a policy declaring the district's official language as English, with
the signage in English, unless it's in a foreign language class," Mr.
Blandino said at the time. "I was disturbed to see what I saw."
According to Mr. Blandino, the signs were handwritten, and identified
various parts of the school in Spanish.

   Mr. Blandino said that, since the school taught classes in English,
the signs around the school should be in English as well.    Mr.
Blandino's question was referred to Superintendent Edward Forsthoffer,
who was not at the July 22 meeting.    Dr. Forsthoffer relayed the
information about the sign's location and purpose at the board's
Monday meeting, stating that they were part of the elementary school's
Spanish program.

   According to Dr. Forsthoffer, certain parts of the school are
identified in Spanish as an instructional aid for students.    Mr.
Blandino said the signs were acceptable, since they were part of a
school class, but wanted to know whether the district could designate
English as an official language.
   "I'd be afraid to answer that, but I can with my gut," Dr.
Forsthoffer said. "Since the U.S. doesn't have an official language,
I'm not sure we can do that."
   Policy Committee Chairman Marc Rosenberg said his committee could
look into whether the district could make English an official
language.

   According to Department of Education spokeswoman Kathryn Forsyth,
the state has no position on districts declaring an official language
for signs at schools.    "There is nothing in school law that covers
this," Ms. Forsyth said. "We can't give out any legal advice because
it might become a case that the commissioner (Education Commissioner
Lucille Davy) has to decide down the road."

http://www.packetonline.com/articles/2008/08/22/hillsborough_beacon/news/doc48ad840bcf988648128107.txt