Did indicted Illinois governor skip online ethics training that he mandated for all state employees?

Dennis Baron DEBARON at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Dec 10 08:04:30 UTC 2008

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Did indicted Illinois governor skip online ethics training that he
mandated for all state employees?

In 2003, Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich ordered mandatory online
ethics training for all state employees. Illinois had a reputation for
being a politically corrupt state, and Blagojevich was determined to
put an end to that. He told USA Today, "To truly change the culture in
state government, we need to ensure that everyone involved – from the
elected officials down to the mailroom clerks – understands what the
rules are and how they apply to our work as employees of the public."

But apparently, the governor forgot to take the ethics training
himself. That's why FBI agents arrested Blago on Dec. 9 for trying to
sell the Senate seat vacated by president-elect Barack Obama and other
acts of political corruption. According to  Patrick J. Fitzgerald,
U.S. Attorney for Northern Illinois (the same federal prosecutor who
convicted Bushie Scooter Libby in the Valerie Plame affair, while
letting Karl Rove off the hook), Blagojevich's actions "would make
Lincoln roll over in his grave."

read the rest of this post on the Web of Language

http://illinois.edu/goto/weboflanguage

Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics
Department of English