CFP: SALTMIL workshop on "Collaboration: interoperability between people in the creation of language resources for less-resourced languages"
hfsclpp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 22:55:33 UTC 2008
CALL FOR PAPERS
"Collaboration: interoperability between people in the creation of language
resources for less-resourced languages"
LREC 2008 pre-conference workshop
Marrakech, Morocco: afternoon of Tuesday 27th May 2008
Organised by the SALTMIL Special Interest Group of ISCA
LREC 2008: http://www.lrec-conf.org/lrec2008/
Call For Papers:
Papers are invited for the above half-day workshop, in the format outlined
below. Most submitted papers will be presented in poster form, though some
authors may be invited to present in lecture format.
Context and Focus
The minority or "less resourced" languages of the world are under increasing
pressure from the major languages (especially English), and many of them
full political recognition. Some minority languages have been well
researched linguistically, but most have not, and the majority do not yet
possess basic speech and language resources which would enable the
development of products. This lack of language products may accelerate the
decline of those languages that are already struggling to survive. To break
this vicious circle, it is important to encourage the development of basic
language resources as a first step.
In recent years, linguists across the world have realised the need to
document endangered languages immediately, and to publish the raw data. This
raw data can be transformed automatically (or with the help of volunteers)
into resources for basic speech and language technology. It thus seems
necessary to extend the scope of recent workshops on speech and language
technology beyond technological questions of interoperability between
resources: the focus will be on the human aspect of creating and
disseminating language resources for the benefit of endangered and
non-endangered less-resourced languages.
The theme of "collaboration" centres on issues involved in collaborating
* Trained researchers.
* Non-specialist workers (paid or volunteers) from the speaker community.
* The wider speaker community.
* Officials, funding bodies, and others.
Hence there will be a corresponding need for the following:
* With trained researchers: Methods and tools for facilitating collaborative
working at a distance.
* With non-specialist workers: Methods and tools for training new workers
specific tasks, and laying the foundations for continuation of these skills
among native speakers.
* With the wider speaker community: Methods of gaining acceptance and wider
publicity for the work, and of increasing the take-up rates after completion
of the work.
* With others: Methods of presenting the work in non-specialist terms, and
facilitating its progress.
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
* Bringing together people with very different backgrounds.
* How to organize volunteer work (some endangered languages have active
* How to train non-specialist volunteers in elicitation methods.
* Working with the speaker community: strengthening acceptance of ICT and
language resources among the speaker community.
* Working collaboratively to build speech and text corpora with few existing
language resources and no specialist expertise.
* Web-based creation of linguistic resources, including web 2.0.
* The development of digital tools to facilitate collaboration between
* Licensing issues; open source, proprietary software.
* Re-use of existing data; interoperability between tools and data.
* Language resources compatible with limited computing power environments
(old machines, the $100 handheld device, etc.)
* General speech and language resources for minority languages, with
particular emphasis on software tools that have been found useful.
29 February 2008 Deadline for submission
17 March 2008 Notification
31 March 2008 Final version
27 May 2008 Workshop
* Briony Williams: Language Technologies Unit, Bangor University, Wales, UK
* Mikel Forcada: Departament de Llenguatges i Sistemes Informàtics,
Universitat d'Alacant, Spain
* Kepa Sarasola: Dept. of Computer Languages, University of the Basque
* Briony Williams: Bangor University, Wales, UK
* Mikel Forcada: Universitat d'Alacant, Spain
* Kepa Sarasola: University of the Basque Country
* Atelach Alemu Argaw: Stockholm University, Sweden
* Julie Berndsen, University College Dublin, Ireland
* Shannon Bischoff, Universidad de Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
* Lori Levin, Carnegie-Mellon University, USA
* Climent Nadeu, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Spain
* Juan Antonio Pérez-Ortiz, Universitat d'Alacant, Spain
* Bojan Petek, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
* Oliver Streiter, National University of Kaohsiung, Taiwan
We expect short papers of max 3500 words (about 4-6 pages) describing
research addressing one of the above topics, to be submitted as PDF
by uploading to the following URL:
The final papers should not have more than 6 pages, adhering to the
stylesheet that will be adopted for the LREC Proceedings (to be announced
later on the Conference web site).
Arweinydd Tîm Technoleg Lleferydd / Speech Technology Team Leader
Uned Technolegau Iaith / Language Technologies Unit
Adeilad Rhos, Safle'r Normal / Rhos Building, Normal Site
Prifysgol Bangor / Bangor University
Bangor / Bangor
Gwynedd LL57 2PX, UK / Gwynedd LL57 2PX, UK
E-Bost / E-Mail : b.williams at bangor.ac.uk
Gwe (Cymraeg) : http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ar/cb/technolegau_iaith.php.cy
Web (English) : http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ar/cb/technolegau_iaith.php.en
Ffôn / Tel : +44 (0) 1506 200862
Rhithfro / Blog : http://murmur.bangor.ac.uk
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor. www.bangor.ac.uk
This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email. Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure. Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Community email addresses:
Post message: saltmil at onelist.com
Subscribe: saltmil-subscribe at onelist.com
Unsubscribe: saltmil-unsubscribe at onelist.com
List owner: saltmil-owner at onelist.com
Shortcut URL to this page:
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:saltmil-digest at yahoogroups.com
mailto:saltmil-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
saltmil-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
N.b.: Listing on the lgpolicy-list is merely intended as a service to its
and implies neither approval, confirmation nor agreement by the owner or
the list as to the veracity of a message's contents. Members who disagree
message are encouraged to post a rebuttal. (H. Schiffman, Moderator)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Lgpolicy-list