India: What price English education?

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:58:16 UTC 2008

Forwarded From: edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Deccan Herald

What price English education?

Knowledge of English may lead to success today, but what if it comes
at the cost of our own languages? Sankara Rajanala writes on the
perils of an English only approach.

English medium education is pricey: we all know that. But the price we
pay in terms of the damage to, indeed decay of, our national languages
is hardly ever realised.

My domestic help proudly tells me that her grandson goes to an English
school. It is no wonder that she is happy about it: the elite in our
society prefer education in English to mother tongue education. The
trickle-down effect ensures that everyone aspires to English
education.

Full story:

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Jul172008/dheducation2008071679144.asp