Teaching English Language Learners: What Seems to Work in American Public Schools

Kate Menken kmenken at gc.cuny.edu
Tue Jul 22 18:31:09 UTC 2008

Hello,
I have just posted the following response to this blog entry in response to
Goldenberg's article:

I agree with you that this is a seminal article, and worth reading. A few
Goldenberg, not Claudine, and a man - he¹s a professor at Stanford
(http://www.csulb.edu/~cgolden/).

In answer to your question about why so many ELLs are US-Born: The majority
of ELLs are elementary students. Most of these students come from immigrant
households where a language other than English is spoken. Thus they had
limited or no exposure to English prior to arriving to school. However there
are also US-Born ELLs at the secondary level. I have just completed a study
of Œlong-term¹ ELLs together with a team at the Research Institute for the
Study of Language in an Urban Society at the CUNY Graduate Center, and we
found that the majority of US-born students in our sample had not actually
been in the US consistently. Rather, they had regularly moved back and forth
between the US and their country of origin. Of those educated mainly or
entirely in the US, we found that the students had not received the
opportunity to develop literacy skills or Œacademic English¹ in their native
language, which Goldenberg notes is critical for acquiring literacy in
English, because they had moved in and out of bilingual education, ESL and
mainstream classrooms (thus their schooling in this country has been
inconsistent).
--Kate Menken

Kate Menken
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
Research Fellow, Research Institute for the Study of Language in Urban
Society, CUNY Graduate Center
    e-mail: kmenken at gc.cuny.edu
Queens College Department of Linguistics
    e-mail: kmenken at qc.cuny.edu
Website: http://web.gc.cuny.edu/Linguistics/people/menken