Wales: Bilingual approach is paying off

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 14:48:39 UTC 2008

Bilingual approach is paying off

Jun 4 2008 by David R. Jones, Daily Post

MORE businesses in North Wales want to use Welsh in their day-top-day
work - in order to make themselves more attractive to the rising
numbers of people in the region speaking the language. That is the
view of a Welsh Language Board officer working with local businesses
wanting to promote and market themselves bilingually. But business
leaders say that possible new legislation should not be used to compel
firms to make greater use of the language. Caernarfon-based Meleri Wyn
Williams, the board's private sector and business development officer,
said: "There is an increasing number of businesses who want to promote
themselves bilingually.

"There has been an increase in the number of Welsh speakers and they
need to reach them. Especially in North Wales, where you have a higher
proportion of Welsh speakers. Promoting themselves bilingually will
appeal when they are targeting that audience.
"We are not saying that they must do everything bilingually - they
could start with the small stuff such as bilingual menus and signage.
"These are easy ways of reaching our to the Welsh speaking population.
"We also have a 50% business grant for marketing materials."

Asked about the fact that some Flintshire business people have gone on
record as saying they believe that English is the international
language of business - even in Wales - she replied: "I would say the
language of good business is whatever language your customer feels
comfortable speaking." She added that the board has good working
relationships with supermarkets and retailers including Morrisons,
Tesco and Marks & Spencer. Tesco was currently trialing bilingual self
service tills in one supermarket before rolling them out across Wales.
"I am working at the moment with the new shopping complex at Eagles
Meadow, Wrexham, to develop a language policy for the centre and
working with each of the tenants individually."

A mentoring project for small businesses is to be piloted in Gwynedd
in a few months time. Successful, Welsh-speaking business people will
act as business champions, visiting other businesses to encourage them
to make greater use of the language.

Commenting on the possibility of new legislation on the use of Welsh
language in business, Ms Williams said: "We have to work within the
confines of the legislation. At the moment there is no compulsion on
businesses to use the language. It is my role to work with businesses
to develop voluntary policies.

"I think there are a lot of businesses out there which would like to
use the language but are a bit apprehensive of doing so. Business
owners who do not speak Welsh may be worried they will send out the
wrong signals.

"That is why I am here, to help them with some free translation
services and provide advice and guidance."

WLB press officer Meinir Jones said: "We will have to await the new
legislation from the Welsh Assembly as it applies to business."

Business groups in North Wales told Business Post they support the
voluntary use of the Welsh language in their dealings.

Jeremy Salisbury, vice-chairman of the North Wales CBI committee,
said: "We generally feel quite happy to use the Welsh language. But it
is vital, from our point-of-view, that this is done on a voluntary
basis.

"We think that if an element of compulsion is brought in, that would
make it very difficult, particularly for small businesses, as it would
undoubtedly result in extra costs falling on them."

Mr Salisbury also warned that any legislative move in Wales to force
businesses to give equal status to the Welsh language could make the
country less attractive to potential inward investors.

Federation of Small Businesses North Wales regional organiser Mike
Learmond said the organisation has worked closely with the Welsh
Language Board to encourage firms to consider making use of the
support and advice available for those firms wanting bilingual
materials.

But he added that any move to force local businesses down the
bilingual route would be "a step too far". Instead, the Welsh Assembly
Government should consider "beefing up" the existing support services
available through the WLB, he said.

An Assembly government spokeswoman said a bid was being made to
Westminster for powers to enact a further Welsh language legislation
based on the commitment in the Labour/Plaid Cymru coalition's One
Wales document to increase the rights of Welsh speakers, to establish
a commissioner and to put Welsh and English on an equal footing.

"We need to make it easier for the majority who cannot speak Welsh to
learn and use the language, if they choose to," she said. "We also
need to make sure that Welsh speakers are able to use the language in
their everyday lives - whether that's through receiving services or
through simply being able to have the freedom to speak Welsh with each
other in the workplace."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business-news/business-news/2008/06/04/bilingual-approach-is-paying-off-55578-21018945/