On Brazil ´s MUSEU DE LÍNGUA PORTUGUESA

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri May 2 12:57:24 UTC 2008

Dear Francisco,

Thank you very much for your email and the contacts. I have heard of this
museum and have it on the list at
http://donosborn.org/iyl/index.php/Main/Locations , but know little about
it.

There are perhaps three broad categories of museum relating to language. All
of them have a role and would seem to be able to share information and
resources, but their emphases are a bit different:

1) Museums about language & languages in general, such as the NML, Linguamón
- Casa de les Llengües (Barcelona), Danmarks Sprogmuseum (Aarhus), and the
World Language Centre (Reykjavik)

2) Language-specific museums - i.e., about a particular language such as
Portuguese or Afrikaans

3) Museums about specific aspects of the use of language such as alphabets,
printing, cryptology etc.

I will pass on this information by cc to Amelia Murdoch and some of her
colleagues.

Don