Ossetia's connection to Scotland

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 11:04:06 UTC 2008

BBC , November 2

Hundreds of years ago, Ossetians roamed all over Western Europe, from
the Caucasus to Scotland. As Tim Whewell reveals, the folk memories of
these wanderings have lingered down the centuries, so that it can be
hard to tell where myth ends and history begins. When the nights draw
in in the high Caucasus, when the flocks are gathered in the shadow of
the ancient stone towers that dot the wooded hillsides, and there is
no sound outside but the chattering of the fast streams that run down
from Ossetia towards Georgia, there is nothing the people like better
than to settle down on the settee to watch an old DVD of Braveheart.
So much do Ossetians love that 13th Century Scots patriot, that one
told me he had made a pilgrimage to Edinburgh, only to find Wallace's
statue disappointingly small and unimpressive. It is not hard to see
why they identify with a ruthless fighter, romantically cruel, who
defended his small mountainous homeland against a more powerful
southern neighbour. For King Edward I of England, think President
Mikhail Saakashvili of Georgia. He attempted back in August to regain
control of the separatist-held territory of South Ossetia, but was
beaten back by Russia, assisted by Ossetian volunteers who cast
themselves as modern Bravehearts. But the Ossetians are not just like
the medieval Scots. As far as they are concerned, they are the Scots.
And the Scots are them. Name that place Centuries ago, possibly during
the great migrations of the Dark Ages, some of their ancestors went
down from the Caucasus and set sail through the Black Sea, the
Mediterranean, the Atlantic, and arrived eventually in a landscape
they recognised: Caledonia. And how do we know they reached Britain?
Easy: place names. Sitting over a pile of flat, greasy Ossetian cheese
pies in a smoky cafe in Vladikavkaz, capital of Russian-ruled North
Ossetia, and again later, sampling a cup of young, home-made wine in a
war-damaged house in Tskhinvali - the capital of the much-disputed
south - I am asked where I am from. "London," I say. "And what does
the name mean?" I am asked. Of course, I do not know. But my hosts do.
In Ossetian, London means "standing water". Belfast, in Ossetian,
could be "broken spade". Orleans in France is "stopping place",
because the Ossetians stopped there. And England's greatest national
hero, King Arthur, was Ossetian too, apparently. His name means "solar
fire". Understanding our ancestry Toponymy, the study of place names,
has never been an overriding passion of the English.
Indeed, the more you travel, the more you realise that one of the more
unusual things about people in the British Isles is their comparative
lack of interest in their national origins. Some children are taught
about the arrival of the first Saxons, or Frisians, Hengist and Horsa.
Very few know the story of our legendary Trojan ancestor Corinius and
his battle on the cliffs of Cornwall with the giant Gogmagog. Ossetian
children know all about their forefathers' wanderings around Europe
and how eventually their territory diminished again to those two
little pockets on either side of the great Caucasian watershed, the
southern one of which we heard so much about, so briefly, in August.
But the Ossetians, in their glory days of continental mastery, were
not known by that name. They were sometimes Sarmatians, and sometimes
Alans. Every third Ossetian you meet now seems to be called Alan, and
the north Ossetian republic, within Russia, is officially "Alania", as
satisfying, I suppose, for Alans as it would be for me to live in
Timia. If you are living in Bristol, Hove, Crewe or another place
whose name you cannot instantly explain, I should start worrying
Meanwhile, the Alans in the south now live, supposedly, in an
independent state, a miniscule country of 50,000 people, recognised
only by Russia, Nicaragua and Somalia. The rest of the world insists
it is still part of Georgia, though the people I met there said that
since the war they could never again live in one country with
Georgians. What some dream of is a greater Ossetia, uniting north and
south, a place where their ancient Iranian-linked language and
swashbuckling culture can flourish, free of Georgia or Russia. And if
they achieve that, they may want to expand still further to their
older, wider stamping grounds. Those of you living in Ox-ford,
New-castle, Red-bridge and anywhere else with an obvious derivation
can sleep easy in the knowledge that you have a right to be there. But
if you are living in Bris-tol, Hove, Crewe or another place whose name
you cannot instantly explain, I should start worrying. The Alans are
very mobile, and they have long memories.