Help with a political cartoon

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 15:15:37 UTC 2008

Dear Members,

I have just unearthed a political cartoon on the subject of language
policy in Canada
that I have been looking for ever since I started the cartoons page on
the language policy
site.  It is attached herewith.  I wonder if anyone can identify when
and where it appeared?
It shows the figure of Stalin with upraised fist, announcing that "you
are mere steps away from
Franglais taking its rightful place in the nation of suspect
languages." Other figures in the
picture are holding up signs proclaiming that Rene Levesque is sexy
etc.  Another sign
says "Vote oui!" and at the bottom, "Six Steps:"  Unfortunately
there's no mention of the
six steps in this image.

(If your email system can't display the image, go to the cartoons page at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/plc/clpp/images/cartoons/cartoons.html

Any help identifying the source of this image would be appreciated!

Thanks,

HS