Major Spanish-language paper endorses Obama

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 19:34:25 UTC 2008

Major Spanish-language paper endorses Obama
By The Associated Press – 1 hour ago

Excerpts from recent newspaper endorsements of the presidential candidates.

___

El Diario/La Prensa, the largest Spanish-language daily paper in New
York City, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama on Oct. 17:

Our next president must have the capacity, judgment and vision to
restore confidence, both here and abroad. El Diario/La Prensa endorses
Sen. Barack Obama as the leader ready to redirect the United States of
America towards its promise. Sen. Obama wisely opposed Bush's
misguided and immoral charge into Iraq. From Corona to Washington
Heights, Latinos have suffered the devastating effects of this war.
Sen. Obama has pledged to bring the sons and daughters who are serving
in Iraq back home by 2010.

Sen. Obama has correctly identified that trickle-down economics are
not addressing the inequities Americans face. As our economy continues
to unravel, Latinos and African-Americans are disproportionately
affected by foreclosures. Sen. Obama has proposed a 90-day moratorium
on foreclosures so that some lenders and homeowners can renegotiate
terms.

Other problems demand attention. Graduation rates in the United States
lag behind that of most other wealthy nations. Sen. Obama has
committed to investing in schools and to making higher education more
accessible.

The nation also needs a humane and sensible immigration policy. While
Sen. John McCain once appeared as a reasonable interlocutor on
immigration reform, he gradually pandered to Republican ultra
conservatives by promoting a two-step process emphasizing border
enforcement. Sen. Obama clearly outlines a far superior plan that will
take a smarter approach to immigration, including bringing
undocumented immigrants out of the shadows.

___

The Washington Post endorsed Democrat Barack Obama on Oct. 17:

The nominating process this year produced two unusually talented and
qualified presidential candidates. There are few public figures we
have respected more over the years than Sen. John McCain. Yet it is
without ambivalence that we endorse Sen. Barack Obama for president.

The choice is made easy in part by Mr. McCain's disappointing
campaign, above all his irresponsible selection of a running mate who
is not ready to be president. It is made easy in larger part, though,
because of our admiration for Mr. Obama and the impressive qualities
he has shown during this long race. Yes, we have reservations and
concerns, almost inevitably, given Mr. Obama's relatively brief
experience in national politics. But we also have enormous hopes.

Mr. Obama is a man of supple intelligence, with a nuanced grasp of
complex issues and evident skill at conciliation and
consensus-building. At home, we believe, he would respond to the
economic crisis with a healthy respect for markets tempered by
justified dismay over rising inequality and an understanding of the
need for focused regulation. Abroad, the best evidence suggests that
he would seek to maintain U.S. leadership and engagement, continue the
fight against terrorists, and wage vigorous diplomacy on behalf of
U.S. values and interests. Mr. Obama has the potential to become a
great president. Given the enormous problems he would confront from
his first day in office, and the damage wrought over the past eight
years, we would settle for very good.

Any presidential vote is a gamble, and Mr. Obama's resume is
undoubtedly thin. We had hoped, throughout this long campaign, to see
more evidence that Mr. Obama might stand up to Democratic orthodoxy
and end, as he said in his announcement speech, "our chronic avoidance
of tough decisions."

But Mr. Obama's temperament is unlike anything we've seen on the
national stage in many years. He is deliberate but not indecisive;
eloquent but a master of substance and detail; preternaturally
confident but eager to hear opposing points of view. He has inspired
millions of voters of diverse ages and races, no small thing in our
often divided and cynical country. We think he is the right man for a
perilous moment.

On the Net:
El Diario/La Prensa: http://www.impre.com/eldiariony

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hr5hmYnjJMz50Swp8ech-tpt4zoAD93SD80O1