Ethnic cleansing continues in South Ossetian conflict zone in Georgia

Rusiko Amirejibi-Mullen r.amirejibi-mullen at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 09:09:21 UTC 2008

Ethnic Cleansing Continues in South Ossetian Conflict Zone in Georgia

Ethnic cleansing continues in the de-facto border region between
Georgia and South Ossetia. Human rights monitors found evidence of the
burning of houses, attacks on civilians and forced displacement of the
Georgian population as late as Friday 17 October. There is still fear
and tension in the conflict zone. The Russian Federation effectively
controls South Ossetian territory and is responsible for maintaining
security and allowing the displaced population to return and to
investigate numerous allegations of crimes committed in the areas that
have been and continue to be effectively under Russian control during
and after the armed conflict in August, irrespective of who actually
committed them. The Georgian government, on the other hand, is
responsible for providing security to the population in the areas it
controls, including in the de facto border regions, and for
investigating the numerous allegations of crimes committed during and
after the armed conflict, irrespective of who actually committed them.
---

(Oslo, Tbilisi, Vienna, 24 October 2008) During August, September and
October 2008, the Austrian Helsinki Foundation, Caucasia Centre for
Human Rights and Conflict Studies, The Georgian Human Rights Centre
and the Norwegian Helsinki Committee interviewed a number of IDPs and
villagers from the conflict zones in South Ossetia, Kareli Region,
Gori Region and Zugdidi region of Western Georgia.

Our aim was twofold: firstly, to investigate alleged occurrences of
war crimes and crimes against humanity during and after the armed
conflict in August, and secondly to offer legal assistance to the
victims by representing their interests before the European Court of
Human Rights in Strasbourg. The full records of our research will be
also be presented in middle November to the International Criminal
Court in The Hague, together with our final, public report.

Our work was hampered by lack of access to many of the relevant sites,
as Russian troops and South Ossetian de facto authorities refused to
allow our monitors access. Nonetheless our monitors went to villages
in the Russian controlled ?Buffer Zone? in August and September as
well as to villages in South Ossetia in September and October.

Between 60 and 70 IDPs and villagers from the conflict zones were
interviewed. These people included those who from one village in the
Zugdidi region, approximately seven villages in South Ossetia and
sixteen villages in the Gori and Kareli regions. Some of them were
interviewed in-depth, as they were victims of or eyewitnesses to grave
violations of humanitarian law and human rights law. Based on our
material one cannot draw conclusions about the total number of serious
war crimes (like e.g. the number of people summarily executed or the
exact number of houses burned). This material is non-exhaustive, and
only provides an indication of the overall figures.

Yet this material strongly suggests a pattern of systematic attacks
against the civilian population that continues until today, the acts
are seemingly aimed at changing the ethnic composition of the South
Ossetian population. During the first phase of the armed conflict
(which continued for about five days from 7 August until 12 August),
both parties seem to have committed war crimes in the form of
indiscriminate bombings and disproportional use of force against mixed
or civilian targets. In the second phase of the conflict the civilian
population were specifically targeted in those areas effectively
controlled by the Russian armed forces. These actions have lead to
ethnic cleansing.

The practice of large-scale looting was accompanied by killings, rape,
taking of hostages, deprivation of liberty, beatings, and threats. In
several villages the burning of houses and destruction of public and
private civilian property had a systematic character. The material
collected describes 16 alleged cases of killings of civilians
(excluding deaths resulting from cross fire, bombing and shelling at
the time of large scale military operations, and accidents with
unexploded ordnance), in areas controlled by Russian forces, many of
which seems to be instances of summarily executions.

There were regional differences, with fewer violations were reported
from the conflict zones in the Zugdidi region and the Akhalgori
district of South Ossetia in comparison with other parts of South
Ossetia. The destruction of Georgian villages and the forced
displacement of the population appeared systematic and planned. The
withdrawal of the Russian forces from the so-called ?Buffer Zone?
bordering South Ossetia in mid-October, the return of Georgian police
and the deployment of EU monitors, have lead to an improvement in the
security situation, yet crimes against the civilian population
continues.

Thus, for instance, in the village of Disevi in South Ossetia, our
monitors found evidence of an on-going campaign against the few
Georgian civilians remaining in the village. During a visit on 20th of
October, our monitors encountered houses that were still smouldering
after allegedly being put on fire a few days earlier. By our
estimates, at least three quarters of the houses had been burned
(apparently also some houses inhabited by Ossetians), suggesting the
systematic and planned destruction of the entire settlement. There
were several indications that looting was still going on in the
village while we visited it, and there were credible reports that
civilians, including old women, had been beaten, threatened and forced
to leave the village as recently as last weekend.

Apparently, the perpetrators were Ossetian paramilitary formations.
However, the village is guarded by Russian peacekeeping units. The
territory of South Ossetia is effectively under the control of Russian
military forces and, based on international law, the Russian
Federation is consequently responsible for maintaining security and
order.

Recommendations:

To the Russian Federation:

  Ensure that there is adequate security for the population of South
Ossetia, including the Georgian population, and immediately stop the
on-going persecution of civilians.
  Facilitate the unimpeded, voluntary return of the internally
displaced people from Georgia to their native villages in South Ossetia.

  Investigate the numerous allegations where grave violations of
humanitarian law and human rights that have occurred during and after
the armed conflict, irrespective of which side was responsible for the
violations.

http://www.geotimes.ge/index.php?m=home&newsid=13333