Minister Plasterk endorses Dutch as main language in the Kingdom

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:13:11 UTC 2008

Forwarded From: edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

The Daily Herald

Minister Plasterk endorses Dutch as main language in the Kingdom

The Netherlands will not force Saba and St. Eustatius to implement
Dutch as the language of instruction in schools once the islands are
integrated in the Dutch Constellation. However, Dutch Education
Minister Ronald Plasterk is encouraging students to master the Dutch
language before engaging in studies in the Netherlands.

"Dutch binds us in the Kingdom. If we don't speak the language in the
Kingdom, we'll lose what connects us," said Plasterk during a
gathering of the Antillean organisation Vereniging Antilliaans Netwerk
VAN in Amsterdam Friday evening. He said he hoped that the new
countries Curaçao and St. Maarten would become members of the
so-called 'Taal Unie,' the language union, since this will contribute
to the sense of unity in the Dutch Kingdom.

Full story:

http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/l139/plasterk139.html