Jamaica: Foreign language policy good idea

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:53:38 UTC 2008

Foreign language policy good idea
published: Tuesday | September 30, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

I note with interest the consideration of the Education Ministry to
initiate a foreign language policy for schools. I applaud this move
which has taken too long to be implemented in our schools .

It is well understood that it is easier for young persons to learn a
foreign language than their older counterparts. Jamaica is practically
surrounded by speakers of Spanish, French and Portugese so it would
seem logical to look seriously at teaching these but not entirely as
there will be some with preferential interest in other languages, for
example, other European and Asiatic languages.

I would like to suggest that language learning aids such as Compact
Discs (CDs) and cassette tapes be made available for persons,
especially the older ones who wish to learn one of these languages.

Knowledge of languages

With globalisation now taking place and actual or perceived foreign
investment in Jamaica including tourism, it is imperative that
Jamaicans of all ages equip themselves with knowledge of languages
other than the current local ones standard or spoken.

Books on learning other languages are readily available but hearing
the spoken words, intonation and pronounciation by listening on CDs or
tapes will be of tremendous advantage.

The Ministries of Education, Tourism, Foreign Affairs and Trade could
very well cooperate and promote such venture on radio and television.
The Internet for those with access to computers could also be a
valuable medium.

I am, etc,

LES FRANCIS

ashfran2 at yahoo.com