Language policy briefs for govt offiicials

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Mon Feb 23 17:13:16 UTC 2009

Has anyone done any work producing policy briefs/memos relating to language
for people in government who are in a position to influence language policy
and its implementation?

By policy briefs or policy memos I mean information presented in a succinct
way for an educated audience not specialized in the topic addressed.
Commonly these are used to advocate a position on the topic described. I'm
particularly interested in the form used, purpose or agenda promoted, and
evaluations.

I have found few instances on the web. A couple of examples:

http://www.aera.net/uploadedFiles/Journals_and_Publications/Research_Points/
RP_Winter04.pdf

http://www.language-policy.org/content/features/EPSL-0509-103-LPRU.pdf (a
61-page document which was described at  as a "policy brief" at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0509
<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0509&L=lgpolicy-list&P=61
32> &L=lgpolicy-list&P=6132 )

In other domains, such as ICT policy, briefs are also used. An African
example is:

http://www.apkn.org/areas-of-activity/information-and-communication-technolo
gy/ict-policy-briefs-for-mps

While I am referring to the latter  and others, I am still seeking examples
relating to language policy.

Don Osborn

Bisharat.net