Language policy briefs for govt offiicials

Damien Hall djh514 at york.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 18:00:36 UTC 2009

On Feb 23 2009, tricento at ucalgary.ca wrote:

>To Don Osborne,
>    When I click on the links you provide, I get an Error message or it
>says the link no longer exists.
>
>Tom Ricento

I would imagine that (in all but one of the cases below) that's because
these links go over more than one line, so, when one clicks on them as they
appear in the e-mail, the browser is trying to read only the first
line's-worth of the URL as a complete URL, and of course it is not
complete.

Below is the rest of Don's message, with shortened URLs for the pages which
still exist. All the shortened URLs begin with <http://tinyurl.com> and
point at the same web-pages as the original, longer URLs that Don posted.

In general, if a URL looks like it goes over more than one line, or even if
it doesn't but it is longer than twenty characters or so, it's useful to
assume that most browsers will find it too long and will display it on more
than one line, which will mean that it is not clickable, since most
browsers don't pick up the bits of URLs that are on the second line. In
such cases, you can put the long URL into this site:

http://tinyurl.com

and it will make a short one for you (for free), pointing at the same page,
which will never be cut by a browser. The short URL will never run out, and
the original long URL, of course, continues to exist too. You can
optionally put a few characters into the short URL (as I have below) to
serve as an _aide-mémoire_ to what it refers to; if you don't opt to do
that, TinyURL will fill out the short URL with a random (but unique) set of
letters and numbers.

Damien Hall

http://tinyurl.com/AeraNet

http://tinyurl.com/LangPolDotOrg

>> (a 61-page document which was described at as a "policy brief" at
>> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0509

This one really doesn't work.

http://tinyurl.com/WayneWrightLangPol

http://tinyurl.com/APKNOrg

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK