particular incidents while recordings

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 23:24:48 UTC 2009

Indeed, this is usual.

It's a good idea to practice techniques on your friends and family before you do it with subjects. This makes sure that you have mastered the technology.

You should also think of how you can make people feel comfortable and at ease.  Often giving them a task helps, as they then focus on the task.

A string of questions is not the best way to get good speech. If you use a Labovian interview it should be more like a conversation than an interrogation.

Open air, fans, televisions, hammering, road works outside, unexpected visitors......

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT <www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk