Foreign-Born Are More Likely Than Native-Born to Earn Advanced

Damien Hall djh514 at york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 29 20:14:52 UTC 2009

This article makes fascinating reading. I suppose the headline conclusion
could be predicted for at least one reason: that one prominent reason for
foreigners to come and be resident in the USA would be that, by virtue of
their advanced qualifications, they were better-qualified for some job than
any American who happened to apply for it. Therefore, if you are a
foreigner and legally resident in the States, you are more likely to have
higher qualifications.

For obvious reasons, though, the article only talks about foreign-born
people who are resident in the USA; since Census Bureau data are being
discussed, I presume this means people who have the legal status of
Resident Alien, and maybe also citizens who were not born in the States.
Others (Non-Resident Aliens) are not considered by the Census Bureau; at
least, during my five years in the States, I was never contacted by the
Census Bureau, though, since censuses are decennial, that doesn't
necessarily prove anything. In any case, does anyone know whether there are
statistics anywhere covering Non-Residents, and/or foreigners who earn
advanced degrees in the States? Clearly, most people who earn advanced
degrees in the States are Americans, but it would still be interesting to
know.

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) 01904 432665