Cheeseburgery hamburgers and the problem of computerised translations

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:06:49 UTC 2009

I'm replying primarily to Don Osborn on this because he raised the issue of how
relevant it is to language policy, or at least how relevant to this
list. I forwarded
the "cheeseburgery" message because I felt that relying on MT for translation
is often an excuse for allowing a maximized use of English in various contexts,
and then assuming that MT will take care of the "problem".

Other responders have shown here that some of the MT systems do a pretty
good job, especially with "technical" language. But I had experience with the
opposite a few years ago, when I helped edit an issue of a journal on the topic
of the sociolinguistics of minority languages in France. All the articles were
in English, but it was my job to make them sound better in English, since they
had all been written by non-mother-tongue speakers of English. But one
in particular
had been machine-translated from French, and I found it impossible to make it
sound like "good" English. It was beyond help.  We finally went back
to square one
and had it translated  again, by a human being.

Maybe sociolinguistics is beyond the domain of "technical" writing,
and maybe that
was the reason the MT failed.

But I do think MT is a "policy" issue and will continue to haunt us in
anything we write
that involves metaphor, figurative language, poetry, and stuff like that.

HS

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com