[lg policy] Wales: Drop in modern language learning

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at LEEDS.AC.UK
Mon Jul 6 16:45:02 UTC 2009

> Ten years ago 41% of pupils in Wales chose to do a foreign
> language at GCSE. This had fallen to 28% two years ago.

This is a predictable consequence of a stupid decision about state education in England and Wales. Until 2004 it was compulsory to do a 'modern foreign language' from age 11-16 (GCSEs are generally taken at age 16), but from 2004-2010 it has been compulsory only aged 11-14!

>>From 2010 a 'modern foreign language' will be compulsory from 7-14, but it's unlikely this will improve things much.

At least in Wales they have to do Welsh as well as English. Welsh is not defined as a 'modern foreign language' and is not available at all in England....

I could rant on this topic at length.... And as for the pre-school curriculum....

Anthea

Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT <www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>
NB: Reply to a.f.gupta at leeds.ac.uk