[lg policy] Foreign language is key to success

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 20 18:26:01 UTC 2009

Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

The Triangle

Foreign language is key to success

I would like to blame geographic isolation for the fact that most U.S.
citizens that are not of immigrant households do not speak any
languages other than English. Fine, you can't hone your German or your
French, we get it - it's all an ocean away. Regardless, just to the
south of us Spanish, and not English is what is spoken. According to a
report conducted by the Center for Applied Linguistics, Foreign
Language Teaching: "What the United States Can Learn from Other
Countries," the U.S. lags in foreign language proficiency because
linguistic education is introduced too late, and our teaching force is
not properly equipped. These conclusions should not come as a
surprise. We can all recollect the nightmare and confusion of foreign
language classes, so it's no wonder why few bother to pursue the
languages in which they once held interest. So, what do we lose from
avoiding learning a foreign language?

Full story:

http://media.www.thetriangle.org/media/storage/paper689/news/2009/07/17/EdOp/Foreign.Language.Is.Key.To.Success-3752127.shtml

Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)