[lg policy] Australia: cabinet ministers resigning

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 5 17:21:16 UTC 2009

jungarrayi

Posted Thursday, 4 June 2009 at 3:03 pm | Permalink
Even later breaking news-

Marion Scrymgeour is believed to have resigned from the NT Labour
Party and will continue as an Independent MLA….. segue…..
We in Yuendumu (one of the few remaining- until last year- places
whose school ran an Aboriginal language bilingual program) were very
angry and dissapointed when Marion Scrymgeour, the then Minister for
Education introduced the “4-hour English only Policy”.
Pleading and arguing that this policy was wrong with the present
Education Minister (Chief Minister Paul Henderson) has got us nowhere.
Paul Henderson has stonewalled us by using the “….policy introduced by
the former Minister…. I’m standing by her decision…” as an excuse not
to consider reversing or even discussing the policy.

Marion Scrymgeour has been reported as having expressed regret about
her language policy decisions. Marion Scrymgeour turned out to be one
of those (unfortunately rare) politicians that is willing to admit
having been wrong as well as to have the fortitude to act on principle
rather than political expediency. Good on her! As for Paul Henderson,
if he continues to push the assimilationist Remote Aboriginal
education policies and agenda, he will no longer be able to palm off
the responsibility for such to his former Minister.

PS- Evermore I’m hearing unprompted complaints from Warlpiri people “…
We voted for them and look what they are doing to us now…” For too
long have Labour Governments taken the remote Aboriginal vote for
granted.

-- http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/06/04/joel-fitzgibbons-gone/