[lg policy] Thailand: Multiple languages for global village

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 9 16:07:54 UTC 2009

Forwarded From:  edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Bangkok Post

Multiple languages for global village

'Today, we have to look at bilingualism, multilingualism,
biculturalism and multiculturalism as ways of life," said Dr Li-Rong
Lilly Cheng, a linguistic expert and professor in the School of
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at San Diego State University.

The statement rings true because old and new generations are
struggling to become global citizens. Inevitably, in accomplishing the
goal, knowledge of manifold languages and cultures plays a serious
function.

Recently, at the Concordian International School, Bangkok, Dr Cheng
transferred her thoughts and experiences in the linguistic realm at a
free education seminar under the topic, "Learning Multiple Languages
in Our Global Village". The seminar attracted language experts,
teachers and students.

Full story:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/life/education/18155/multiple-languages-for-global-village