On Twitter, is it 'he or she' or 'they' or 'ip'?

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Fri Mar 6 19:48:13 UTC 2009

On 3/6/09 12:16 PM, "Harold Schiffman" <hfsclpp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider the sentence "Everyone loves his mother." The word "his" may
> be seen as both sexist and inaccurate, but replacing it with "his or
> her" seems cumbersome, and "their" is grammatically incorrect.

"Their" is only "grammatically incorrect" if you accept the idea that our
"grammar" is what is dictated to us by anal-retentive nitwits who don't
understand how language actually works.

Yeah, I'm in a mood. And I have a blog to prove it, appropriately titled
"The Cranky Linguist."
http://crankylinguist.blogspot.com/

Ron