Malaysia: English can't be mastered through Science and Maths

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 17:06:05 UTC 2009

Forwarded  From: : edling at lists.sis.utsa.edu

Malaysia Star

English can't be mastered through Science and Maths

There is no argument on the importance of English for international
communication and the acquisition of knowledge, using the books and
reading materials that we have nowadays.

In fact, in today's world, it is useful if one knows a few other
languages, and it is not difficult to learn any language for informal
and everyday communication.

After all, one only needs to know a few hundred words in any language
to be able to speak in it.

What I find strange is how some people think that by getting our
primary school students to study Science and Maths in English, they
can improve their understanding of the language. What if the students
do not like these two subjects and cannot excel in it? Are they going
to be perceived as bad?

Full story:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/3/27/focus/3565429&sec=focus