confused by style shiftingggggggggg!!

mostari hind hmostari at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 19:03:39 UTC 2009

hi everybody ,
while teaching today the concept of style shifting to my graduate students , I felt a somehow confusion , in fact , when speaking about style shifting , we refer to differences in styles but does it lead to the change of language like speaking the local dialect for informal style and moving to the standard form ( which is genetically related to the local dialect) in formal settings .
this really confuses me, because if we possibly move from one languagto another while style shifting, so here , we can also speak about code switching between 2 varieties of the same language .
need answers
all the best
Mostari
Algeria