[lg policy] Q's: Language Maps

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 16 13:32:42 UTC 2009

Language Maps

Hello everyone,

I am a PhD student at Virginia Tech in the Department of Geography. My
main interest areas are in cartography and map communication. For my
research I am interested in understanding the cartographic presentation of
language and am currently seeking language maps (in print or online) to
survey their characteristics. While I have been searching and collecting
language maps myself, I wanted to ask the linguist community if you would
be willing to share any references or links to language maps you may use in
your classroom, have come across in research, have created yourself, or
have simply found interesting or engaging. I am interested in the full
array of language maps available with no limitations of specific regions,
languages, dates of publication, or data types as I am inventorying their
cartographic characteristics rather than their specific map messages. Any
information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very
much for your time.

Sincerely,

Candice Luebbering
PhD Candidate
Geospatial & Environmental Analysis
Department of Geography
Virginia Tech

http://linguistlist.org/issues/20/20-3100.html
Members who disagree with a message are encouraged to post a rebuttal.
(H. Schiffman, Moderator)