[lg policy] Indigenous Language Institute: Native Language News

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 29 16:08:31 UTC 2010

Forwarded From: Indigenous Language Institute <ili at ilinative.org>
Date: Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM

  If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it
online<http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=28751.6910676234/rid=a7d54fc0cdab81724f5e0f3707c0eb30>
.
  Share This:
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/e/28751/ee099d6f43ae73681f160e663bde37b3/6910676234/?mrid=a7d54fc0cdab81724f5e0f3707c0eb30>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/t/28751/ee099d6f43ae73681f160e663bde37b3/6910676234/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/f/28751/ee099d6f43ae73681f160e663bde37b3/6910676234/>
<http://social.e2ma.net/next/l/28751/ee099d6f43ae73681f160e663bde37b3/6910676234/>
     <http://e2ma.net/go/6910676234/208420098/216948999/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
       Wes Studi, Co-Chair
ILI Native Language Fund

 Osiyo!

As we come to the close of 2010 I have great hope for the survival of Native
Languages.

My people of Cherokee Nation have a successful language immersion school
with 105 students learning multiple subjects in Cherokee. The tribe has
worked with ILI's Languagegeek© and Apple to develop Cherokee Language
software for iPod, iPad and iPhone so these kids and other Cherokee speakers
can use Cherokee in our 21st century daily lives. These are very exciting
achievements for Cherokee Nation. But we must keep in mind that many tribes
are still struggling to initiate language programs for their communities,
and need the support, training and technology that ILI has to offer.

On a more somber note, a few days before Christmas, my uncle Pete Nofire
passed on. He was a good Cherokee man with a great sense of humor. I will
miss being able to talk and joke with him in our language, and my children,
nieces, nephews and grandchildren will never have that opportunity. This
personally brought home to me the fact that every day, Indian communities
and families are losing our Elder first language speakers faster than we can
teach our young to speak.

We cannot stop time to save our languages, but you and I can donate funds to
help the Indigenous Language Institute provide urgently needed language
support and services to Indian communities nationwide.

With your help we can save our languages before it's too late!

Wado,

Wes Studi
Co-Chair, ILI Native Language Fund

   *Donate Online*
* *
 Click on the Donate Now Button. You will be taken to a secure page to
donate to ILI through Network for Good.

*Donate by Mail or Fax*

For a PDF donation form go to:
 http://www.ilinative.org/donate/donationForm080909.pdf<http://e2ma.net/go/6910676234/208420098/216949105/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org/donate/donationForm080909.pdf>.

You can mail or fax the form along with your gift to:

*Indigenous Language Institute*
*1501 Cerrillos Road, U-Building*
*Santa Fe, New Mexico  87505*
*(505) 820-0311*
*(505) 820-0316 fax*
* www.ilinative.org<http://e2ma.net/go/6910676234/208420098/216949106/28751/goto:http://www.ilinative.org>
*

                          1501 Cerrillos Road U-Building | Santa Fe, NM
87505 US

This email was sent to *hfsclpp at gmail.com*. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

*manage*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=Manage/signupId=48362/id=28751.6910676234/rid=a7d54fc0cdab81724f5e0f3707c0eb30>your
preferences |
*opt out*<http://e2ma.net/map/view=OptOut/ID=28751.6910676234/rid=a7d54fc0cdab81724f5e0f3707c0eb30/signupId=48362>using