[lg policy] 16th World Conference of Applied Languages - In Search of a Symposium Co-sponsor

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 8 19:53:21 UTC 2010

Forwarded From:  AILA Research Network on Language Policy
<LPREN at googlegroups.com>

I am looking for someone within the AILA who would like to co-sponsor
a symposium on national mandatory second language requirements at the
upcoming August 2011 conference in Beijing.  The deadline for
submission of a symposium proposal is 28 February 2010.
The purpose of the symposium would be to bring together people who are
interested in the objective assessment of the socio-economic
ramifications of these requirements with special focus on the English
language.  I would like to have the symposium listed under the heading
Language in Societies (D) / Language Policy (17).
As I feel comfortable in the East-Asian context, I would like to
co-sponsor with people who have good knowledge of the European, South
and Central American, or Persian Gulf  regions.  My attraction to
these areas may or may not be obvious.  Unlike East Asia where there
are also a variety of native tongues, Europe is a more closely knit
community whose national borders are relatively easy to cross.  In
South and Central American there exists a transnational language other
than English.  Arabic (Persian) Gulf countries employ a large
proportion of foreign workers with significant dependency on the
English language.
Certainly I would also be willing to consider an all Asian or all East
Asian symposium.  This, however, would likely lead to a
reclassification of the symposium, and I am eager for world
perspective.
I have already submitted an individual presentation proposal that will
provide you with some notion of my own approach to the problem.  You
are, of course, welcome to explore the languishing HKLNA-Project for
further insight.  By the time of the conference the HKLNA-Project will
have hopefully transformed into the more comprehensive Global English
Needs Assessment (GENA) Project.
AILA 2011 Call for Papers:  http://www.aila2011.org/en/
Individual Presentation Proposal:  http://tr.im/aila2011_beijing
HKLNA-Project:
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/earth/current/hklna/index.html
I am looking forward to the timely posting of this announcement and
your equally timely response.
Roddy A. Stegemann, A.B., M.A., M.A.
Director, The GENA Project
http://homepage.mac.com/moogoonghwa/