[lg policy] how to organise this style

Anthea Fraser Gupta A.F.Gupta at LEEDS.AC.UK
Wed Feb 17 01:07:48 UTC 2010

If it is a reprint, you do not need to give the date of the reprint at all, but only the date of the edition. The pagination should be the same, but if it isn't (as in the case of a reprinted classic, for example) then you add the extra information in the bibliography.

Don't get obsessed with the mechanics. What matters is (1) the date it was first said; (2) where you read it. There are many ways of showing this clearly.

BTW, I'm not 'Dr Frazer'. In most European styles (except Iceland, where there are usually patronymics rather than surnames) the surname, which is what goes with the title, is the final word, so I would be 'Dr Gupta'. My personal name is 'Anthea', which is what my friends would call me. The only titles that go with 'Anthea' are kinship titles like 'Aunty', by the way. 'Fraser' is a 'middle name', which means it is part of my personal name, but only used when my whole name is used. Hope this is helpful.

Be careful with spelling too, both with me and Myers-Scotton.

Anthea
*     *     *     *     *
Anthea Fraser Gupta (Dr)
School of English, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT
<www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg<http://www.leeds.ac.uk/english/staff/afg>>
*     *     *     *     *

________________________________
From: lgpolicy-list-bounces at groups.sas.upenn.edu [lgpolicy-list-bounces at groups.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of mostari hind [hmostari at yahoo.com]
Sent: 16 February 2010 11:44
To: Language Policy List
Subject: RE: [lg policy] how to organise this style

Dear Dr Frazer ,
I think you are right , we have to quote the author from both editions using diferrent dates , let's say :
Labov (1984) states : ".................."

and labov (1971) : states  : ".............."

I think, even if it is not a new  edition which will forcebly contain some modifications as with MyersScoton's (1993 ,1997) , if it is even a matter of reprint , we should use the date of the enw edition , because we are not sure if the quotations still remain in the same pages and lines as in the initial edition . What do you think so ?
we should just refer to the 1st edition or reprint in the bibliography , taht wil be helpful for the readers .

all the best and once again thank you for your eluminating comments

Dr Mostari