[lg policy] question for the members of this list

Harold Schiffman haroldfs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 4 16:17:20 UTC 2010

All,

Okay, the consensus so far is that I should continue sending these
snippets about
language policy.  I will label them somehow (probably erratically
until I devise a system)
as "squibs" or "bibliography" or "book review" and others are welcome
to contribute
these kinds of things, too!  Thanks to all of you who commented on
this--I'm gratified
to know that you share my view of what lgpolicy is, or ought to be.

On another note, I have just added a new political cartoon to our
language policy cartoon
page.  This one shows Thomas Babington Macaulay, author of the famous
"minute" that
decided British colonial language policy in favor of English, being
manipulated like a puppet
while manipulating the colonials like puppets.  It appeared in a
posting I sent out a few days ago,
but not everybody's email system supports images, so you may not have seen it.
The posting is worth a careful read, btw. (There's a link to it from
the cartoon.)

You can access the cartoons page from the RESOURCES page on the
website.  While you're
there, if anybody knows the origin of the cartoon depicting Stalin
ranting about Franglais, please
let me know.  I acquired it somehow but didn't keep track of where I
got it from.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Hal Schiffman

Email:  haroldfs at gmail.com