[lg policy] calls: Language Contact and Change - Grammatical Structure Encounters the Fluidity of Language

Harold Schiffman hfsclpp at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 4 16:24:34 UTC 2010

Language Contact and Change - Grammatical Structure Encounters the
Fluidity of Language

Language Contact and Change - Grammatical Structure Encounters the
Fluidity of Language
Short Title: GSFL

Date: 22-Sep-2010 - 25-Sep-2010
Location: NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
Contact: Tor A. Afarli
Contact Email: gsfl2010hf.ntnu.no
Meeting URL: http://www.ntnu.edu/gsfl2010

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

Language Contact and Change -
Grammatical Structure Encounters the Fluidity of Language

Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU,
Trondheim, September 22-25, 2010
A conference sponsored by The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters
(DKNVS)

Language Contact and Change -
Grammatical Structure Encounters the Fluidity of Language
Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim
September 22-25, 2010

Wednesday 22 September

11.00-11.30 Opening

11.30-12.30 Invited Speaker
Derek Bickerton:
The Myth of Exceptionalism

12.30-14.00 Lunch

14.00-14.30 Jan Terje Faarlund:
Universal Grammar,Recursion, and Language Contact

14.30-15.00 Guro Fløgstad:
The expansion of the preterit in Rioplatense: Contact induced?

15.00-15.30 Mari Nygård:
Licensing of discourse ellipses in spoken Norwegian

15.30-15.45 Break

15.45-16.45 Invited Speaker
Rajendra Singh:
Getting our house in order: Reflections on language-contact, linguistics, and
sociolinguistics

17.30-19.30 Reception [Rica Nidelven Hotel]

Thursday 23 September

9.00-10.00 Invited Speaker
Frans Gregersen:
Scaling the present to illuminate the past or why (socio)linguistics is a
historical science

10.00-10.15 Break

10.15-10.45 Sören Schalowski, Katharina Mayr, Ulrike Freywald & Heike Wiese:
The dynamics of a multilingual setting: Word order changes in an urban German
multiethnolect

10.45-11.15 Antje Meyke:
'Germlish' in Georgia/USA: The Relationship between Social Networks and
Grammatical Interference in the Language of German Immigrants

11.15-11.45 Karoline Kühl:
The (c)overtness of bilingual speech and how it is used pragmatically

11.45-12.15 Finn Aarsæther, Ingvild Nistov, Toril Opsahl, Unn Røyneland &
Bente A. Svendsen:
Language practices among adolescents in multilingual Oslo

12.15-13.30 Lunch

13.30-14.00 Philipp Conzett, Åse Mette Johansen & Hilde Sollid:
Gender: variation and change in Northern Norwegian contact varieties

14.00-15.00 Invited Speaker
Peter Auer:
Dialect change through dialect/standard contact: usage-based perspectives on
phonological dialect-to-standard advergence

15.00-15.15 Break

15.15-15.45 Verónica Pájaro:
Challenging group-categories: A cognitive linguistic contribution to
sociolinguistic analysis

15.45-16.15 Steffen Höder :
Constructing diasystems: The case of Low German and High German

16.15-16.45 Karine Stjernholm:
Linguistic Landscape in Oslo

[TBA] Reception [Eysteinsalen, The Archbishop's Palace]

Friday 24 September

9.00-10.00 Invited Speaker
Salikoko S. Mufwene:
Language Ecology and Language Evolution: Populations, Individuals, Variation,
Competition, and Selection from the Feature Pool

10.00-10.15 Break

10.15-10.45 Kristin M. Eide & Hilde Sollid:
Syntactic structures as sociolinguistic variables: Norwegian main clause
declaratives

10.45-11.15 Martin Elsig:
The Germanic-like syntax of Old French: assessing the role of language contact

11.15-11.45 Ragnhild Ljosland:
Orkney and Shetland dialect grammar: Relict area, contact phenomenon or both?

11.45-12.15 Kateryna Kent:
Surzhyk as a Russian-Ukrainian mixed language variety in Ukraine

12.15-13.30 Lunch

13.30-14.00 Phil Branigan, Paul De Decker & Gerard Van Herk:
Gradient social sensitivity and syntactic parameters

14.00-15.00 Invited Speakers
Enoch Aboh & Michel DeGraff:
>>From bareness to bareness: Some notes on nominal phrases in Gungbe and Haitian
Creole

15.00-15.15 Break

15.15-15.45 Isa Buchstaller, Karen Corrigan & Anders Holmberg:
The Northern Subject Rule Across the Anglo-Scottish Border

15.45-16.15 Ásta Svavarsdóttir & Þórhallur Eyþórsson:
Structural, lexical and sociolinguistic aspects of language change:
Variation in
oblique subject constructions in Icelandic and beyond

17.00-18.15 Guided Tour [Starting from Rica Nidelven Hotel]

19.30- Banquet [Rica Nidelven Hotel]

Saturday 25 September

9.30-10.30 Invited Speaker
Leonie Cornips:
Same place, different language contact outcomes

10.30-10.45 Break

10.45-11.15 Ivar Berg:
Language contact and language choice in early 16th century Norway

11.15-11.45 Jeff Siegel:
Second Dialect Acquisition and Language Change

11.45-12.15 Hjalmar P. Petersen:
Transmission Processes in Language Contact

12.15-13.30 Lunch

13.30-14.00 Fufen Jin:
Linguistic competence in the minority language: A case study of a
Norwegian-Chinese bilingual

14.00-14.30 Tamami Shimada:
Grammatical Innovations and Contact-induced Restructuring in Hiberno-English

14.30-14.45 Break

14.45-15.45 Invited Speaker
Frederick J. Newmeyer:
Syntactic Change: Between Parameters and Fuzzy Grammar

http://linguistlist.org/issues/21/21-2798.html

 A copy of this may be forwarded to this list as well.  (H. Schiffman,
Moderator)